Not So Random Thoughts and Recipes

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day 14 ~ It's a New Day

his breakfast

My husband stayed home and fixed his own breakfast this morning. On our beach walk this afternoon he shared that he was feeling 'off'. Doesn't surprise me that he's feeling funky. . . after two weeks off meat, dairy and sugar, he decides to eat a plate of cheese and heavy meat protein yesterday. His body was in a stupor. 

my brunch ~ avocados with capers

Food for the rest of the day was simple. I added Salba grain  to our dinner salad along with shredded raw beets and carrots.


Salba is grown in Peru and are similar to chia seeds. They are high in Omega-3, 6, and 9 essential fatty acids, antioxidants, fiber, protein, calcium and iron. Salba is expensive, $16.00 for a 12.7 oz. bag at Whole Foods Market. Before I buy another bag I will research online for a better price.


I roasted two kinds of squash, both from Laguna Farm; Butternut, my favorite, and Delicata, another favorite. I scooped out the Delicata and stirred it into a sort-of puree that we ate alongside quinoa. My favorite way to prepare Butternut squash is slicing it into 3/4" thick rounds and brushing both sides with melted Earth Balance and a bit of pure maple syrup. Squash prepared this way has always been a big hit with my son.

 My husband brought this post on CNN to my attention: CNN's eatocracy ~ Vegan on the Silver Screen.  Of course I couldn't pass up the opportunity to 'comment' on the post . . . I was so excited about speaking on a subject I feel so passionate about I accidentally double posted. That will fuel the fire. There's nothing that gets people more fired up than talking about the food they eat and this post has generated quite a lively discussion. It's disheartening to see so much misunderstanding about the vegan diet. Agriculture lobbyists from the meat and dairy industries are powerful and persistent and they have a lot of purchasing clout to get their message out into the hungry public and we've eaten it up unquestioned . . . until the last few years. With growing awareness through the Internet and documentaries like the upcoming , Forks Over Knives, people are educating themselves and making healthier choices. 

Eat well 
xxoo

No comments:

Post a Comment