Not So Random Thoughts and Recipes

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 3


While I whipped up dinner, my husband relaxed on the sofa and watched a documentary on his laptop.

Meals here are pretty straight forward. Our main course is nearly always a big green salad. I use baby greens from our local Laguna Farm, CSA, several leaves of romaine, shredded raw beets and carrots, and slice up an avocado, all organic and all from Laguna Farm except for the romaine. I squeeze the juice of a Meyer lemon from my mom’s tree, some local Napa County olive oil, and a bit of crushed raw garlic (from Laguna Farm) to lightly dress the salad. Pretty simple.

We enjoy some hot food in the Winter. Tonight I cooked my husband’s favorite lentils which I rinsed, soaked and let sprout overnight. I lightly sauteed two yellow onions, 3 leeks, and five cloves of garlic in sunflower oil. I then added a rounded teaspoon of ‘Better Than Bouillon’ organic vegetable bouillon, rinsed lentils, and enough water to barely cover the legumes and veggies. I brought the water up to a slow boil then turned it down and simmered for 20 minutes till tender.

Alongside our lentils we had quinoa which I rinse and soak for 15 minutes then rinse and drain. Soaking loosens up the outer coating of saponin, which will leave a bitter taste if the quinoa is not soaked and rinsed first. I add one cup of quinoa to two cups of fresh water and a little veg bouillon and a bit of olive oil, stir and let simmer for about 15 minutes until the water is absorbed.

This meal is highly alkaline. I’m never stumped about what to fix for our meals. I typically buy what’s in season with the exception of some fruits. I buy most of my produce from Laguna Farm in Sebastopol so I know it’s farmed bio-dynamically and is freshly harvested when I pick up my weekly box at the farm.

The closer you stick to whole foods the easier food preparation becomes. I still buy crackers and such but less and less as time goes by. I don’t like the wasteful packaging and the way I feel after eating processed foods. I’m considering buying another dehydrator as we do enjoy wraps year round and I don’t like buying store bought wraps in plastic packages.

So far my husband is doing pretty good. It seems that the most difficult thing for him today is adjusting to no caffeine. He’s kinda feeling punky but this too will pass (as mom always says). I think he’s amazing . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment